A Marketing Journal

A Marketing Journal

Friday, July 6, 2012

a is for american.


Fun fact: Americans stick out. Badly. We walked around in our large group, talking in English, and confirming the stereotype that we are indeed LOUD. Because of this we are targets for merchants, restaurants, and thieves. I fear that some of this will be reiteration but hopefully the majority will be original.
There were many different ways that we were promoted to on our trip. One of the major ways was through word of mouth. We got information from our directors, hotel staff, people on the street, and SEED interns. We asked for directions, opinions, and lots of places to eat. The hotel in Cusco directed us to a laundry place that was extremely far away and one of the faculty in Trujillo recommended an amazing chicken restaurant that I ate at four times.
People will appeal to our nature to spend and to spend a lot. Again, there were many people who would usher us into their restaurants with empty promises. There was an experience that I had in Cusco that took advantage of my nature. Cusco is filled with culture and color. While walking near the cathedral I was approached by two girls. They were the epitome of a stereotypical Peruvian complete with the dark eyes and colorful apparel. They held lambs in their arms. I never stood a chance. My heart was taken advantage of as they asked if I wanted a picture. Of course I did! Afterwards, they didn’t ask for money, just a donation to build a new school for children. They stared up at me with those dark eyes and I ended up giving them ten soles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment