A Marketing Journal

A Marketing Journal

Friday, July 6, 2012

i is for international.


Being in a foreign country is exhilarating. I loved my experience but there were times when I got a little bit homesick. Seeing international brands, ads, and companies was comforting and it made me feel like I had a little bit of home with me. International marketing was abundant and I was interested in seeing the differences. South America offered the options of Burger King, Cinemark, OfiShop (Office Depot), Chili’s, T.G.I. Friday’s, McDonalds, Pepsi, and Coca-Cola.
There were billboards for McDonalds, Pepsi, and Coca-Cola. Surprisingly, there was a lot of advertising for the movie The Lorax. Even in the outskirts of Trujillo they had posters on poles. There was also a store that was selling juice boxes that contained images and advertisements for the movie. I also stumbled upon ads for cologne with Justin Timberlake and makeup ads with Emma Watson.
McDonalds is huge anywhere you go. I typically don’t eat there, ever. However, on the trip I ended up eating there five different times because of time and convenience and because there was nothing else decent in the airport. I did notice that out of the five times I ate there I only saw a dollar menu one time. They also have a smaller menu.
                                                                                                                            


Peru had t-shirts that were similar to the brands of Puma or Adidas but they were altered to incorporate something from the country.
  
                   



One of the most interesting things that I saw was on a package of cigarettes. While in a shop I saw that the cigarette packages had pictures on them that warned the buyer that the cigarettes will create various forms of cancer. While mildly disturbing, I found the idea ingenious. I hope that maybe the U.S. will incorporate the idea and help prevent the results of smoking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment